HEALTH WARNING: Is your Microwave Safe?

December 7, 2006 at 8:14 PM | Posted in cancer, Doxin, microwave, plastic containers in microwave | Leave a comment
Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Recent Cancer News from Johns Hopkins University, of Maryland, focuses on dioxins, chemicals found in plastics frequently used in freezing and microwave cooking. Read on to determine if you are putting yourself and your family at risk with your cooking and freezing methods.

Dr. Edward Fujimoto, Wellness Program Manager at Castle Hospital, was on a TV program to discuss dioxins and the risks they pose on our health. Specificially, he mentioned the dangers of dioxins and why they are bad for us. Here’s what you need to know.

Dioxins are highly poisonous to the cells of our bodies. Dioxin chemicals causes cancer, especially breast cancer.

If you freeze your plastic bottles with water in them it releases dioxins into the water from the plastic.

He said that we should not be heating our food in the microwave using plastic containers either. This especially applies to foods that contain fat. He said that the combination of fat, high heat, and plastics releases dioxin into the food and ultimately into the cells of the body. Is this what you’re feeding your family?

Instead, Dr. Fujimoto recommends using glass, such as Corning Ware, Pyrex or ceramic containers for heating food. You get the same results, only without the dioxin.

Such food items as TV dinners, instant ramen and soups, etc., should be removed from the container and heated in something else. Paper isn’t bad but you don’t know what is in the paper. It’s just safer to use tempered glass, Corning Ware, etc.

He reminded us that a while ago some of the fast food restaurants moved away from the foam containers to paper. The dioxin problem is one of the reasons.

Also, he pointed out that plastic wrap, such as Saran, is just as dangerous when placed over foods to be cooked in the microwave. As the food is nuked, the high heat causes poisonous toxins to actually melt out of the plastic wrap and drip into the food.

Cover food with a paper towel instead (which may not be much better, depending upon the content of the towels)

In summary…

1. No plastic containers in micro – they release dioxins, which are toxic.

2. No water bottles in freezer – they release dioxins, which are toxic.

3. No plastic wrap in microwave – they release dioxins, which are toxic.

Personally, my family stopped using our microwave about a year ago. Other than to occassionally melt chocolate in a ceramic bowl for dipping strawberries and other yummies, this contraption sits unused on our countertop.

For healthy, delicious NO COOK options check out the yummy products at Hook Up With Health.

Leave a Comment »

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.
Entries and comments feeds.

%d bloggers like this: